Monday, May 14, 2007

No Sleep 'Til Brooklyn

Five days from now, life as I know it will change radically. The night sky and its stars will disappear into an unabating orange glow. All familiar sounds of nature will be replaced with the roar of an unsympathetic city. My career of peddling food and drink will be replaced with one of peddling very expensive properties. Commuting in underground trains will supplant driving my car. The extra space on my bed once occupied by unfolded laundry and an assortment of books will now be occupied by my girlfriend, EVERYNIGHT. Things will be different.

The idea and possibility of moving to NYC was crafted many months ago when a friend offered me a job and convinced me that I could not only survive, but thrive in the city. The decision to actually go was just made a couple weeks ago after spending a some time with family in Indiana and doing some serious thinking about it. Since then, I've been plugging myself with information about the city, hoping to retain at least a little. Originally, I was to move to the city alone, without the girl. She was planning to work for the summer, save up some dough and come a few months later. Last week she made the decision to come with me now. I've taken a bit of shit for "bringing sand to the beach," but I couldn't be happier that she will be there from the start. Most of you who will be reading this have not yet met the lucky lady who seems more than happy to put up with my shit regularly. This is Annalisa, or Al as the title states. You will be meeting her soon.

I'm certain she will be happy I included this very flattering picture of her for my friends and family to form their first impressions. We have decided to search for an apartment in Brooklyn as it is much cheaper than Manhattan but still fast and easy to get there. Hopefully we are able to find one and move in soon after we arrive to keep couch surfing to a minimum. Until we get settled in our new home, things will be hectic and I will be irritable.

This is my first venture into blogging and I assume hers as well. I will more than likely be the main contributor but hopefully Al will chime in occasionaly. The idea is to let friends and family know how things are going during our move and transition into the city. I prefer this to mass emails and telling the same stories over and over on the phone. Nothing personal, feel free to call and I will willingly update you on life without stars. I just don't forsee having much time to do so. I will update when I see fit and keep those of you who are interested informed on our progress.

15 comments:

Adam said...

Jake,

I could make some off the collar remark about the picture, instead I'll say I could. Wait, did I just make an off the collar remark?

I too prefer blogging to mass emails.

http://adamsjourneytorussia.blogspot.com

Love always,

yours

Brandi said...

Jake-

I never thought I would see the day. Does this mean you will be settling down? I am so happy for you. I know you are one of Adam's best friends, but I have always considered you one of mine as well. I wish you all the luck in your adventure.

Maybe this means Adam will finally agree to take me to NYC.

Love,
Brandi

sheavb said...

Jake~
Great ideal with the blog. I am
so happy for you and have a good feeling about this. Be smart in
the big city. I can't wait to
visit you and Al!
Peace and love-thinking of you many
times daily~
Mom

Anonymous said...

I love you, Jake. And I'm really proud of you. Go, Baby.

Rea

Anonymous said...

hi great ideea this blogg :)
I'm so happy for you guys!!! Have a great time in the Big Apple! I can hardly wit to see you and Al in NYC in July, spend at least few hours togather;)
I'm glad you took this decission - moving to NYC! Keep up with the good work!

hugs

Delia

Anonymous said...

We'll miss you here in Indiana. It has been very nice having you here. I hope everything goes well for you. I'll be praying for your safety daily.

Love you,
Kristy

Adam said...

1 Blog in 5 days? Jake, you are unable to match my prowess. No seriously, I miss you, It's kind of boring over here in Russia. After dark all the foreigners clear the streets and my host family is old. One can only read so much Pushkin before having a stroke.

Love always,

me

Anonymous said...

so queens then?

Jake Stone said...

no, not queens. who are you?

toni flamion said...

Hi Jake, hope you arrived safely in the big apple. Culture shock yet? It is a lot different then
the land of back yard and front porches. Love, Grandma Toni

Anonymous said...

I have never seen you with an umbrella-how cute. I'm sure you will get used to the smell-can't be
any worse then Kaukauna with a
southerly wind. I hope you will soon find a cozy place to call home
and plant your itchy bum for awhile! {quit using the words "winter" and "summer" as verbs}. Say hi to AL~
Love you Jake~
Mom

toni flamion said...

Hi Jake, After all these years (1960), I can still remember the anxiety of my first night in New York. I went to bed and hid under the covers. I still remember the smells of humanity and the different cultures , so different then midwest living. It is a great life experience for you and make the most of every day, and be careful. Love,Grandma Toni

Anonymous said...

Hi, Jake. My best wishes to you and AL in N.Y.C. I think your Blog is great -- I would only differ with one point. I think you are the lucky one!!! Take good care of our daughter.
Roger

Anonymous said...

Jake,

I'm very envious! I've wanted to visit NYC forever. Do me a favor, since I haven't been able to make the trip. Go see Letterman, and maneuver yourself a spot to play one of his silly games. I'll be tuning in to see you there!

I'm proud of you Jake. You always dance to your own beat, and live the life that makes you happy. Good luck to you and Al. I hope to see you soon.

Love,

Shaun

Anonymous said...

Hi Jake, hope all is well in NYC.
Did you enjoy fleet week? I keep looking for you on the morning TV shows. HOw is the real estate class? I have an appt. tonight to list a house. Too bad you are not here, I would give you my business.

Take care, Grandma Toni