Sunday, May 20, 2007

The Itchy Ass Dilemma

I have successfully survived one full day in New York and almost a second. Other than the rain my first night, no complaints so far. I arrived Saturday afternoon and got settled in my temporary place on my friends couch. It's a nice big loft between Chintown and SoHo and is within walking distance of anything I may need for the next couple weeks. I wandered around the area for a bit in the afternoon and began to feel very anxious. A few things contributing to my rare case of anxiousness: there were many more people than I expected, the place smells awful, I could rarely keep track of which direction I was heading, I couldn't find the train station I was looking for, and I was spending more time navigating my umbrella around all the other umbrellas than taking in what was around me. This was my first fifteen minutes of wandering about, how the hell was I going to deal with this shit everyday? Soon after that I had the dilemma of an itchy ass. I couldn't scratch it because anywhere I was standing or walking, there were dozens of people behind me. I soldiered on with my itch and umbrella in hand. Later I took the C train to the Upper West Side and eased my anxiety at a bar where a freind was working. After work, he showed me around the area I'm staying and I began to feel a little more comfortable. He turned in at about 3:30 a.m. but I was in no mood to sleep, there was too much to see and do. I wandered around until the crack of dawn, hopping on random trains and stopping in no place in particular. I finally found my way home about 9am and got some much needed sleep. I spent yesterday afternoon searching for apartments on the net at my new favorite place in the city, the mac store. This place is great, free use of computers and pretty girls everywhere. I forsee a lot of time spent here over the next few weeks, as purchasing my own laptop was not in the buget. I also checked out my new office yesterday. Killer spot in NoHo, I have a computer there and access it to it 24/7 but I think I'll be faithful to my Mac Store for awhile. Didn't do much last night, wandered around the east village for a bit, ate some pie, shopped for tennis shoes, and turned in early. I've spent most of my day today on the phone scheduling appointments to look at apartments over the next few days. I checked out one this afternoon but it didn't really spark my interest. Al will be arriving this evening soon after I get done with my first class. This will be the first time I've seen her in nearly two months so I'm more than a little excited about that. We have a busy day of apartment hunting ahead of us tomorrow so we probably won't be doing much tonight. I'm off to school right now, not to thrilled.